On 11/14/12 12:28, Jim Klimov wrote:
On 2012-11-13 22:56, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
Trying again:

Intel just released those drives. Any thoughts on how nicely they will
play in a zfs/hardware raid setup?
Seems interesting - fast, assumed reliable and consistent in its IOPS
(according to marketing talk), addresses power loss reliability (acc.
to datasheet):

* Endurance Rating - 10 drive writes/day over 5 years while running
JESD218 standard

* The Intel SSD DC S3700 supports testing of the power loss capacitor,
which can be monitored using the following SMART attribute: (175, AFh).

<snip>

All in all, I can't come up with anything offensive against it quickly
;) One possible nit regards the ratings being geared towards 4KB block
(which is not unusual with SSDs), so it may be further from announced
performance with other block sizes - i.e. when caching ZFS metadata.

I can't help thinking these drives would be overkill for an ARC device. All of the expensive controller hardware is geared to boosting random write IOPs, which somewhat wasted on a write slowly, read often device. The enhancements would be good for a ZIL, but the smallest drive is at least an order of magnitude too big...

--
Ian.