On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 06:28:17PM -0500, Peter Tripp wrote:
> HI Eugen,
>
> Whether it's compatible entirely depends on the chipset of the SATA
> controller.

This is what I was trying to find out. I guess I just have to
test it empirically.

> Basically that card is just a dual port 6gbps PCIe SATA controller with the
> space to mount one ($149) or two ($299) 2.5inch disks.  Sonnet, a mac focused
> company, offers it as a way to better utilize existing Mac Pros already in
> the field without an external box.  Mac Pros only have 3gbps SATA2 and a
> 4x3.5inch drive backplane, but nearly all have a free full-length PCIe slot.
> This product only makes sense if you're trying to run OpenIndiana on a Mac
> Pro, which in my experience is more trouble than it's worth, but to each
> their own I guess.

My application is to stick 2x SSDs into a SunFire X2100 M2,
without resorting to splicing into power cables and mounting
SSD in random location with double-side sticky tape. Depending
on hardware support I'll either run OpenIndiana or Linux
with a zfs hybrid pool (2x SATA drives as mirrored pool).

> If you can confirm the chipset you might get lucky and have it be a supported
> chip.  The big chip is labelled PLX, but I can't read the markings and wasn't
> aware PLX made any PCIe SATA controllers (PCIe and USB/SATA bridges sure, but
> not straight controllers) so that may not even be the chip we care about.
> http://www.profil-marketing.com/uploads/tx_lipresscenter/Sonnet_Tempo_SSD_Pro_01.jpg

Eiter way I'll know the hardware support situation soon
enough.