On Friday, 14 March 2014 10:42:23 UTC+11, Bjoern Kahl wrote:

>  You can quite simply identify the stable MacZFS 74.3.3:
>
>  The zfs.kext has the version number in its Info.plist file, ...

Thanks - good.
But would it be possible in the next release to swap the content of
CFBundleShortVersionString and CFBundleVersion?
Also, I couldn't find the same version info in
 /System/Library/Filesystems/zfs.fs/Content/Info.plist

Providing a useful numerical version number in CFBundleShortVersionString
would allow to automatically deploy and update a MacZFS bundle using munki
which by default compares these ShortVersionStrings to decide whether to
update a bundle. And munki unfortunately is quite picky on how it evaluates
version numbers - the current version string  of 'maczfs_74-3-3-0-ge37xf7b'
certainly will not work ;)

> and also  logs it to the system log on kext load time.
>
> Good to know.

>  All other binaries (zfs, zpool, the libraries, ...) have the full
>  version info compiled in.  Simply do a
>
>      strings _file_to_test_ | grep -e 'PROJECT:'
>
>  For example, the zpool binary from MacZFS-74.3.3 would be identified as
>
>     @(#)PROGRAM:zpool  PROJECT:maczfs_74-3-3-0-ge37cf7b
> VERSION:74.3.3  BUILT:2014-02-19_01.19_+0100
>
> That's great and exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks!

--

---