Peter, sorry no one got back to you in November. Jaap (lead developer) was
away most of the month and no one else (including myself) took an interest
in your question; we'll try to do better in the future.

What you want to do is launch Zim if it's not already running and then send
the "show_task_list" message to the "tasklist" plugin. I don't see any
obvious way to do that; I couldn't do it with the "--plugin" command line
option.

Jaap, is there any way to send commands to Zim via Dbus or something like
that?

Brendan Kidwell