Dear Jaap

after trying unsuccessfully over the course of several hours yesterday I can
report that it works now.
I have restarted the computer and temporarily disabled and re-enabled the
version control plugin.
Whatever did the trick, the main thing is that the version history is now back
now with diff via meld working.

Is there a god reason to choose a versioning back end other than git? I realize
that it may be unnecessarily complicated for my relatively simple needs but
like so many things in Zim the complexity is not exposed to you, plus I am not
sure about the longevity of some other options (Fossil, bazaar) that Zim offers
as alternatives.

Why did it take me so long to find Zim? Such a wonderfully balanced tool, the
simplicity of a text based workflow without the overhead,
my sincere thanks for making it

Christoph