From: Zim-wiki [mailto:zim-wiki-bounces+jkeenan=cwmars....@lists.launchpad.net]
On Behalf Of sn...@glump.net
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2016 1:55 PM
To: zim-wiki@lists.launchpad.net
Subject: [Zim-wiki] Is Zim Desktop Wiki Dead? -- problems with Zim's web
presence

In the Zim chat room I had two people wander in independent of each other and
ask if the project was dead, in the past 12 hours.

There are some problems with Zim's web presence:

  *   How do you find release dates, starting from
http://zim-wiki.org/<http://zim-wiki.org/index.html> ?

     *   You have to click on Contribute, then the first link on that page gets
to the Launchpad project. Then you click Code, then lp:zim, then Browse the
Code, then CHANGELOG.txt.

     *   If you don't think to look at Contribute, or you're not a habitual
Launchpad user, you will probably fail to find the changelog this way.

     *   If you open the project URL from Contribute, then go to the Code tab,
and then actually read the paragraph at the top of
https://code.launchpad.net/zim , then Zim REALLY looks dead:
http://zim-wiki.org/bzr/pyzim/ . If you don't know Bazaar, you'd assume this
shared folder is empty and the ".bzr" subfolder is just junk.

  *   The Downloads page has dead links to "Source" and "Packages". Actually no
they're headings, but they look like links that got unlinkified.

  *   Zim is a desktop wiki. What is this "Wiki" page? The information scent <
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/wrong-information-scent-costs-sales/ > of that
top-level navigation link is nil. People aren't clicking it.

Recommendations:

  *   Immediately create a "History" or "Change log" top-level page on
http://zim-wiki.org/ that is a placeholder directing the user to view
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~jaap.karssenberg/zim/pyzim/view/head:/CHANGELOG.txt
 (or transcludes it directly into the page on the main web site).

  *   Maybe make a comment about the release cadence of the project on the
Downloads page.

  *   Fix this paragraph on the Launchpad project's Code page: "Zim hosts its
code at http://www.zim-wiki.org/bzr/pyzim."; It needs to say something about the
fact that this is a Bazaar repo, not the kind of live web view you'd expect
from GitHub or BitBucket.

  *   Rename the "Wiki" navigation link on the main web site to
"User-Contributed Documentation" or "Community Documentation".

  *   Add a top-level page for "Mailing List" that points to the mailing list
home page AND to directly to the mailing list search form. (Wait ... CAN you
search the mailing list archive? I can't find it.)

  *   A chat room user wanted a screencast that demonstrates critical features
of Zim. Something like that must be in the mailing list archive somewhere. It
should be saved in a safe location and promoted on http://zim-wiki.org/

Who is in charge of the main web site and the Launchpad pages? Is there
anything I can do to help with these communication issues that are driving
users away?

And I hope no one is offended by this post. I'm trying to be helpful and point
out that we are probably losing prospective users due to a few design issues in
our public web presence.

Brendan Kidwell