The column with both the name of the page and the number of children is
defined in "zim/gui/pageindex.py" line 339 to 350.

This link points directly to that line in the current version:
https://github.com/jaap-karssenberg/zim-desktop-wiki/blob/022bfef5b6d55c84832d5f95d8e3e0b111f53864/zim/gui/pageindex.py#L339

In these lines two gtk cellrenderers are defined and packed into a single
column. As far as I'm aware this is a normal way to use the gtk column, not
a hack or custom widget.

Regards,

Jaap