Well, as I said earlier, I have a laptop with Mint 18.1 on it. I rarely use it, but eventually was going to install Zim for when I do. So, I followed the instructions here:https://github.com/jaap-karssenberg/zim-wiki/wiki/Ubuntu-PPA

Same problem. Spell check works fine, but the interface is in Spanish. Although, again, even though I set the dictionary to en-us, I still have to select English (American) in the right click menu.

First time and only instance of Zim on that laptop, only python-gtkspellcheck, no gtkspell, only English dictionaries.