Yes, for medium sized notebooks, and those with a "normal" amount of
files, indexing is still under 5 minutes. I also use Zim to manage a
notebook under which there are lots of small work data files
(>350,000).

The progress bar suggests there is some part of the parsing process that
slows down over time, as does a cursory check on the contents of the
database updating over time. There are many more files added within the
first few minutes, and many fewer over time, such that after a while,
only one or two files are added ever several minutes. It suggests to me
that the whole list is being re-processed or re-opened as part of the
indexing loop, perhaps re-opening the sqlite file for every new file or
something. Ultimately, I don't think that exponential slowdown is a
necessity, but I have not had a free moment to familiarize myself with
the source yet.

Thanks!