Here's my snarky remark for the day (I'm allotted 1.35 per day and I can
accumulate them. Honest -- it's in the Zion-L charter). I read that
there are rumours that the US is moving Patriot missiles into Kuwait.
This could be for many reasons, including part of the enforcement of the
southern "no fly zone" over Iraq, but of course it could also be in
preparation for war with Iraq. Time will tell. That's not the snarky
part.

The snarky part, although I'm actually serious, too, is that I would
quake in my boots at this news if I were Saddam. Does anybody remember
how many Scuds* that Iraq fired at Israel during the Gulf War were
successfully intercepted by Patriots?  I'll give you a hint: pick a
number between 0 and 1.

*Have you ever noticed that military nomenclature loses in the
translation? We think of "Desert Storm," and call our missiles
"Minuteman" [Russian commander to his intelligence aide: "Wass iss? Some
kind of rice?"] and the EU current jet plane is known as Tornado.  When
you go the other way you get Bears (I think that was a Russian bomber)
-- okay, I can tremble at that one -- but "Scuds"? Maybe it's Arabic for
"splat" or "Saddam's nose" or something. IIRC the North Korean
long-range missile is called the Dong-il, which apparently means "the
east is red" or some such. China's probably working on an ICBM called
Xiulan Zhiang, which means "Violets are fragrant, have a nice day."
Maybe I'm making half of this up, I don't know...

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high
and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our
mark."
--Michelangelo Buonarroti

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the
author solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the
authorís employer, nor those of any organization with which the author
may be associated.