"Between Iraq and a hard place" -- a headline that's blindingly obvious
now but I kick myself for not having thought of it before. Anyway, this
is the headline of an op-ed piece in today's Slop and Pail which
actually makes sense regarding the UN and Washington's role in
Afghanistan and Iraq (imo).

It seems to me that for some reason, a few months ago I predicted that
it wouldn't actually come to war in Iraq, for various reasons (this may
have been on LDS-Poll, I can't remember). But it became increasingly
difficult to see how it would be avoided, given what appeared to be
George III's "cowboy attitude." But there appears to be a way between
the rock and the hard place, according to Canadian career diplomat David
Malone:

<<http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/PEstory/TGAM/20021002/COMALONE/Comment/comment/comment_temp/1/1/2/>>

In other news on Iraq, Canada has finally come on board (surprise,
surprise), and our defence minister immediately announced that we could
afford to contribute military assets, as we have in US-led initiatives
going back to George II's Gulf War:

<<http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/front/RTGAM/20021002/wiraq10022/Front/homeBN/breakingnews>>

Oh, speaking of puns, I just remembered an old joke from the Gulf War.
There was a movie that was playing at the time called Arachnophobia
(which is fear of spiders, and of course the movie was full of spiders).
The joke went something like "what's the latest horror show playing in
Kuwait? Iraqnophobia" yuk yuk

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high
and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our
mark."
--Michelangelo Buonarroti

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the
author solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the
authorís employer, nor those of any organization with which the author
may be associated.