Forwarded with permission from Scripture-L:

TROY BRAEGGER wrote:

 >  Elder Nelson's quote was just discussed for quite some time on
Dennis
 > Prager's national radio show out of Los Angeles.  He is a religious
 > conservative who has great esteem for the Church, but he was shocked
 > that Elder Nelson made this kind of "pacifist statement", as he put
 > it, especially in light of the ongoing national debate about war on
 > Iraq.  Dennis focused on Elder Nelson's statement that "as a church,
 > we renounce [not denounce, but renounce as an option] war."  He may
 > have been scrutinizing Elder Nelson's words more than Elder Nelson
 > anticipated, but he knew the "liberal" churches had already come out
 > against what he views as a just war to liberate Iraq, and he was
 > counting on Evangelicals and Mormons as seeing things his way, so he
 > was really surprised by Elder Nelson's statement, as it had been
 > reported by CNN.  He even tried to contact the church to seek
 > clarification, but no one was issuing any statements.  Several
callers
 > in a row were members of the Church, and they either disagreed with
 > Elder Nelson or they agreed with him but interpreted his comments so
 > as not to be a statement against war in Iraq.  Dennis encouraged
those
 > members to contact the church to find out what's going on in the
upper
 > echelons, with this kind of statement being made. Troy

 > "When there are no more Jews in Dar-al-Islam (the land of Islam),
then

 > we will have peace." -- a  leader of Hamas.
 >
 > P.S. Did you know some 70-80% of the money spent on military
 > activities
 > in the West Bank and Gaza by Hamas comes from donors in the US? Kind
 > of
 > like the way it was with the IRA.

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high
and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our
mark."
--Michelangelo Buonarroti

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the
author solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the
authorís employer, nor those of any organization with which the author
may be associated.