At 12:22 PM 10/2/02 -0400 Jon Spencer favored us with:
>Everyone has a right to be wrong.  But what, exactly, do you believe our
>responsibilities to be, knowing that from whom much is given, much is expected?
>Where is your line in the sand?

"And it came to pass that he rent his coat; and he took a piece thereof, and wrote
upon it—In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and
our children—and he fastened it upon the end of a pole." (Alma 46:12)

Here is the line.  As a nation we must do nothing but defend these things.  If we want
to open our doors to refugees from war torn parts of the world, great.  If our young
men want to enlist in the national defense forces of these other nations, fine.  But
our elected government has no right whatsoever to wage war for any other reason than
national defense.

I believe that George W. Bush is mixed up in an organization that is much like the
Mafia, only far more wealthy and powerful. He himself might be a fine man with a
wonderful family.  But he is not at liberty to govern as he sees fit.  He has to obey
orders.  The same people who put him in office are the ones to whom he owes
allegiance.  And he cannot be expected to act in the best interests of our nation
except where those interests coincide with the powerful men who helped him into
office.  And apparently the men who control President Bush now want a war with Iraq.
Well I don't.  If we declare war on anybody, it should be this criminal conspiracy
that has gained control of our government.  Saddam Hussein has committed no aggression
against the USA.  He may be evil, but he is not that stupid.  He hates us, but no more
than a hundred other nations.  If we fight him it will not be for our God, religion,
wives, children and liberty. It will be to further the designs of powerful men, men
who have excessive influence in our government and excessive influence in our media.

A war does not serve the national interest unless you want to define national interest
as "Whatever is good for General Motors is good for the country."  The men who are
promoting this war will not have their sons on the front line.  And my son turns 19 in
5 months.  I want him to serve a mission, marry in the temple, and raise a family to
the Lord.  I do not want him dying on some foreign battlefield.  If he must die in
combat, I want it to be right here on our sacred soil, defending it from those who
would combine against us.

Our government has no business trying to police the world.  Saddam isn't the only Bad
Guy on the planet, and we can't fight them all.  We have never been able to fight them
all.  It is hubris to suppose we can.

Let's arrest bin Laden and see him on the gallows along with all his top lieutenants.
Then maybe we can think of other projects.  Until I see bin Laden or his body, I will
consider any use of our military overseas a private project serving the interests not
of our nation but of certain wealthy and powerful men, a private project being funded
by the American taxpayer.  Didn't we learn anything in Vietnam?  The tragedy of
Vietnam isn't that we lost.  It isn't that 60,000 of our finest young men never came
home.  It isn't that we left thousands of POWs behind.  The tragedy of Vietnam is that
we didn't accomplish a thing.  It was a war fought for no good reason.

Just what national benefit do you think we will obtain from fighting Saddam?  Who are
we defending that will be benefited? Every one of the Islamic nations hates us as much
as Saddam does.  None of them are democracies.  They are all trying to obtain weapons
of mass destruction.  Do you think that Khadafy or any of the other dictators in the
region are worth a single drop of American blood?  And why should our nation be in the
business of propping up dictatorships all over the world anyway?  How does that serve
our national interest?  Does it make these nations love us better?  I don't think so.

I know that I'm whipping a dead horse.  But I served in the US Marines during the
beginnings of the Vietnam war.  And I hated hippies and street protestors.  I wanted
to go over there and kill all those gooks.  And since then I have found out that I was
completely wrong.  I was deceived by people in my own government who never had any
intention of winning that war.  And until the men who did that, and the secret
societies that they belong to, are rooted out of our nation, I will oppose with every
fiber of my being any warfare except what is fought on our own soil by an invading
enemy.

We don't even know who blew up the World Trade Center.

John W. Redelfs                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against
principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the
darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in
high [places]. (Ephesians 6:12)
"All my opinions are tentative pending further data." --JWR