As a follow-on to my post about The Economist, one of my favourite
articles, an opinion piece (and therefore "biased", I'll admit that up
front), about what the US should do to avoid getting even more entangled
in the Middle East and inviting even worse reprisals than it already has
is an article that appeared in the January issue of The Atlantic
Monthly. It's still on their website free, and I highly recommend it.
You may not agree with it, but even so I think it's one of those
"important" articles that people should know about, even if they don't
agree with the authors' conclusions. It's theme is persuading the US to
get off its current unipolar (one hyperpower) foreign policy track, and
start to encourage regional multipolar major power if not super powers.

FWIW: "A New Grand Strategy":
http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/01/schwarzlayne.htm

BTW, what made me think about this was the attack on the French
supertanker that's spilled thousands of litres of oil into the waters of
the coast of Yemen; almost certainly an act of deliberate terrorism.
Why attack a French supertanker? Why not a U.S. one? Ah....interesting
question. I don't think the target was picked at random....

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high
and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our
mark."
--Michelangelo Buonarroti

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the
author solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the
author’s employer, nor those of any organization with which the author
may be associated.