I already responded. But I'll respond again. I don't believe the UN is the moral
authority of the world, so why on earth would I want to defend that position? I
took this as a deliberately provocative, rhetorical question on the part of
whoever originally wrote it, like asking when someone's going to stop beating
their wife, so I gave a sarcastic answer.

"John W. Redelfs" wrote:

> Marc,
>
> I'd love to hear your response to the following:
>
> "When did the United Nations become the supreme moral authority of the world?
> One might advance such a proposition if most of the organization were
> represented by democratic governments, but that is not the case. Of the 191
> nations in the United Nations only about 40 percent (85 countries) are
> democratic societies that enjoy political rights and civil liberties. The
> rest are either controlled by dictators or by a one-party government."
>
> Is it true that most of the member nations are dictatorships and one-party
> states?  And if so, how might that affect the good or evil done by the
> umbrella organization?

You tell me. Your position seems to be that even democracies are in the thrall of
Gadianton Robbers. So isn't the question moot?

Also, I have never seen the UN as an umbrella organization in the sense of
super-national, although I know many do. I see it as a means of international
cooperation, possibly secondarily of ensuring that no one country dominates
(although it doesn't do that very well, given the strangle-hold the U.S. has on
the UN Security Council). Nation states are dying as institutions, and power is
flowing up to super-regions, and down to micro-regions, so the question will come
to make even less and less sense as the new century unfolds, imo.

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the
worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly
debated…To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was
a coward; any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly
character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant that one was
totally unfitted for action.” – Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by
Thucydides in “The Peloponessian Wars”