Under the direction of the Presiding Bishopric, the LDS Foundation makes
contributions to other churches. For example, this is taken from The
Columbian on Feb 28, 2002:
---------------
Domes in the desert
    Mormons in Utah have donated thousands of hours, and thousands of
dollars, to building a new temple about an hour south of their Salt Lake
Temple, spiritual headquarters of their faith and newly familiar to many
viewers of the Olympics.
    The temple isn't Mormon -- it's Hindu, as its onion domes and marble
deities make plain.
    "I found them to be wonderful people who, in their wildest dreams, could
never afford to build what they wanted to," said Stanley Green, a local
leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, recalling his
first visit to the Spanish Fork Hare Krishna community.
    There are approximately 2,000 Hindus in Utah.
    Eventually the church donated $25,000 to the Sri Sri Radha Krishna
Temple effort. And hundreds of weekend volunteers started showing up to help
with the labor.
    "We just asked what we could do," Mormon Eric Weight told The Dallas
Morning News.
    "You find out they're not that much different than we are. They're
children of the Heavenly Father, too."
    "They probably gave us 3,000 hours of volunteer time," said Hare Krishna
leader Caru Das. "In monetary terms that's enormous, and of course there
were benefits beyond money."
    Suspicion and ignorance were swept away by contact and cooperation, Das
said.
    And the sects discovered how alike they are in some respects. For
example, both ban drugs, alcohol, gambling, promiscuity, caffeine, tea and
cigarettes.
    "We're pretty white bread in our own way," Das said.
I have to assume that the 'value' gained from helping other churches comes
from the missionary opportunities that result. It would be interesting to
see if anyone involved in these types of donations ends up joining the
church.

Noel