Has anyone on the list read GUNS, GERMS AND STEEL by Jared Diamond? It won the Pulitzer Prize for general nonfiction in 1998. I am about half way through it, and I'm getting bogged down.

This guy is a scientist and a historian, but he keeps explaining how domesticated plants were developed by man. He also explains how sheep came to be domesticated. Now he is talking about how the use of writing originated.

I thought that Cain raised grain, and Able raised sheep? Am I wrong? And I also thought that the language of Adam was the Adamic language, and that it is the language that was spoken by all peoples before their tongues were confounded at the time of the Tower of Babel. What is wrong with this picture. Are the scriptures wrong? Or is this scientist just making things up? Maybe the scriptures really are just an ancient collection of Hebrew folk talks. Is that possible?

The book is very well written, and the ancient scenarios he describes are fascinating. But I don't see how he could possibly know these things except by conjecture. And if his supposition are correct, then there is something dreadfully wrong with the Genesis account of the creation.

He also points out that there was a dearth of large mammals to be used for domestication here in the Americas. Sheep were domesticated in Eurasia. How could the Garden of Eden have been here in the Americas, if Able raised sheep, and sheep were domesticated in Eurasia and completely unknown in the Americas until after the first contact with Europe?

What do you think?

John W. Redelfs [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no
music, no choreography and the dancers hit each other."
-- Jack Handy

/// ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at ///
/// http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html ///