Occasionally (just occasionally) I get serious on this list.  (And get
shot down in flames for revealing my ignorance.)  But this -- this is
too wonderful to not share.  And maybe it will give someone else the
incentive to press on.  And maybe there is someone who doesn't realize
that they're avoiding happiness and power.

Early in November, my middle daughter called and said she was going to
get her endowments and she & my son-in-law were going to get sealed in
the SLC Temple - over the Thanksgiving "weekend."  They had not yet
started their temple prep class, but had just come from meeting with
their bishop.

Naturally, as always happens, Everything Went Wrong as soon as they
decided to go the temple.  The car got sick, they weren't able to come
up with the money to move to Alaska (where he had a swell job offer),
etc, etc, etc.  Anything which could discourage them happened.  Doesn't
it always?  It happened to us and to everyone we know (who's sealed) --
Does Satan get panicky and make lots of last ditch efforts or what?

But they persevered.  They didn't give up.  And --

I really don't have to tell you how amazing the endowment or the sealing
were, do I?  Besides the things I won't discuss on the
internet(especially during her endowment Wednesday -- or was it
Thursday.  Boy, am I tired!), the same Holy Spirit which attended every
sealing causes the experience to be incredibly personal.  I have long
been of the opinion that if 50 people attend a temple ordinance, there
will be 50 distinctly different (though similar) experiences.  One thing
I will share, which struck me with significant symbolism:  during one
time when I held Cherie's hand, Crystal was resting her arm on
mine....and, nope, we hadn't started out being next to each other.

It's unbelievable how much Cherie and I cried, not just for happiness
for Crystal, but at some dear friends who travelled to be a part of this
and being together again, for those couples have been dear friends for
many, many years, and know far too many deep secrets about us, and have
triumphed through some really dangerous events.  And we have watched
each other grow a decade older, though it seems we've known each other
for far longer.

The photographer was fantastic, and I can't wait to get the photos (late
December) on CD to put up on a website!  We literally spent hours (our
poor feet!) with photos all around the temple, across into Main Street
Plaza (no anti-Mormons were throwing tantrums that day), and we were all
exhausted -- physically, mentally, and spiritually.  Reluctant to say
good-bye, we spent a leisurely lunch at Spaghetti Factory.  We had saved
enough from our budget to give the kids a few hundred bucks to help them
in their move to Alaska (They are driving to Seattle today -- got sealed
JUST in time, eh?).  And then we had to say good-bye.  And it wasn't
easy.

The drive back to Denver didn't tire us any further than we were -- we
got here about 11:30 pm.  The next morning, I suggested we sleep through
Sunday School and RS/priesthood but Cherie insisted "We OWE Heavenly
Father" and we pulled ourselves out of bed.  Co-incidentally enough, our
gospel doctrine class was All About Temples Past, Present, & Future;
combined priesthood was about ordinances; and almost every testimony
(all but two) was about endowments or sealings.  And testimonies - even
before Cherie & I got up - were all about temple ordinances and
closeness.  So we cried.  Oh, how we cried.  Then we were sustained as
Temple Prep teachers, and set apart.  More crying.  Cherie came home to
sleep while I attended high priests' group leader meeting (I's
secretary) where some more experiences brought more tears (they just HAD
to discuss the testimonies heard today!).  Then I came home and dozed --
and we missed the Christmas broadcast!!!  Sheesh!!

I can't tell you how many horrible mistakes I made as Crystal's father.
I can't tell you how many times we felt like giving up a few years ago.
I can tell you that the discouragement, the fear, the trying and trying
and trying again, and all the pain -- was worth it and more.  I can tell
anyone who feels like giving up that there is great victory and power if
one keeps trying and having faith in promises from Father.

And I can tell you that there's nothing more wonderful than seeing
promises fulfilled.

*jeep!
  --Chet

PS:  All the "Everything Going Wrong" problems solved themselves within
hours after the sealing.  Satan runs like the very devil from freshly
endowed and sealed couples, doesn't he?

"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you
are doing the impossible."