Most people don't understand well the doctrines of their church. That
includes LDS members, though the active ones probably understand our
basic tenets better than those of other churches. Most Trinitarians do
not understand the Trinity well (most believe in modalism, a few even
believe in the Godhead of separate beings).
Most people float around looking for a church that fits their social and
cultural strata, not their spiritual understanding. Of course that
doesn't apply to us, as once you buy your house, you are pretty much
stuck with one ward.

For many who enjoy family here, but are looking forward to playing harps
and singing in choirs in the next life, I think they will be totally
happy in the Terrestrial Kingdom. It will be far greater than anything
they can imagine a heaven being. Will they miss their families? Perhaps.
Or maybe they'll be happy seeing others in the same kingdom as friends,
brothers and sisters.

If progression between kingdoms ends up being a possibility, perhaps it
becomes an incentive for those who desire to grow to eventually become
celestialized. I dunno. I think that it may be possible, just that it
would take them "worlds without end" (DC 131) to achieve it, meanwhile
those already in the kingdom would have advanced in kingdoms and
dominions and glory far beyond what any Terrestrial person could ever
imagine.

K'aya K'ama,
Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
"No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

chet:
What's especially ironic is that - despite what their churches'
doctrines are - almost every member of those churches believe that their
marriages (current or otherwise) are meant to last forever.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com