Harold Bloom, a highly renowned literary critic, makes two outrageous claims in his book THE AMERICAN RELIGION: 1) The LDS people will resume the practice of plural marriage, probably by 2020, and 2) The Mormons will set up the political Kingdom of God before the Second Coming, right here in the United States, and probably by 2020.

Is this guy totally wacked? Or does he see something that we Mormons can't see? On page 91 he writes:

--- quote ---
Daniel 2:44 [Nebuchadnezzar's Dream], quote earlier, inspired Joseph Smith to a grand declaration on May 12, 1844:

'I calculate to be one of the instruments of setting up the kingdom of Daniel by the word of the Lord, and I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.'

That foundation was the Council of Fifty, set up early in 1844, a year in which Smith rather quixotically declared himself a candidate for the Presidency of the Unites States, and also the year of his martyrdom. There are several reasons why 1844 so far has been the crucial year in the history of Mormonism, to be superseded only sometime in the twenty-first century, when there could be the establishment of a Mormon Kingdom of God in some substantial part, if not all, of the United States. For everything that Joseph Smith had come to prophesy gathers itself together in his vision of kingship over the Kingdom of God. Nauvoo was not Geneva, and the joyous Prophet Joseph was anything but a repressed or repressive personality. His sense of the Kingdom was not metaphorical, though modern Mormonism, for understandable reasons, has attempted to interpret it only figuratively, at least to Gentiles."
--- unquote ---

Is that wild or what? A Jewish intellectual, Professor of Literature at Yale, thinks that we Mormons are going to carve our own country out of the United States in realization of Joseph Smith's dream of the literal Kingdom of God on earth.

I just hope that nobody was listening to him when he wrote this book. Much of the persecution that was waged against the LDS people in times past was motivated by a fear of Mormon political power. It is only as we have been able to mollify our Gentile neighbors that we are no political threat that we have been able to escape the persecution that was so important a part of our early history as a Church.

I think that Bloom's book could be very dangerous to us as a people. What do you think?

John W. Redelfs [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"There is no place in this work for those who believe only
in the gospel of doom and gloom. The gospel is good
news. It is a message of triumph." --Gordon B. Hinckley