I agree with Harold Bloom on both issues. First, the LDS Church has gone "mainstream"
in many ways. It has been accepted by many (if not most) as a standard Christian
religion in the United States. We don't have the federal government or state
governments trying to eliminate us. We have moderated some of our practices and
teachings, though we still believe them. While Brigham Young would teach extremely
esoteric ideas from the pulpit, today's prophets have gone back to the key doctrines
of salvation.

Second, the Church will become a very powerful organization over the next couple
decades. Why? Because it is a firm foundation in a world that is sliding continuously.
We have what once were honorable and decent religions accepting sinful men and
practices as "mainstream" for their churches (such as in the Episcopalian Church). As
the chasm grows bigger between the good and evil, we will see many churches choose to
dwell on the other side of the murky river in the great and spacious building.

While they will have many converts, there will be many that will be disgusted with the
open acceptance of sin, and they will seek truth and light elsewhere. Many will grasp
onto the iron rod and find themselves before the Tree of Life.

We may not be a majority of the Americans in 2020, but our influence will be very
strong. And, if my reading of D&C 87 is correct, we will see continued attacks by the
modern day Gadiantons - the remnant of the slaves who are angered with the Gentile
nations. And with that we shall soon begin to see great destructions in the world,
both natural and manmade.

But Zion and her stakes will be places where the saints can stand firm and safe; even
if some have to gather together physically, as in the days of Lachoneus.  And many
others will join us, seeing thee is safety and righteousness in Zion.  The Council of
50 will be made up of good men, not necessarily just members of the Church. It could
easily replace our current government, if it were to collapse, with representatives
from many upright religious groups working together to establish peace and prosperity;
and with the LDS Church as a key component to that preparation for the Second Coming.

Oh, and BTW, I'm here, too.  Perhaps I'll stay a while, depending on the tenor of the
discussions.

K'aya K'ama
Gerald Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.geocities.com/rameumptom/