The ultimate purpose of the adversary, who has “great wrath, because he
knoweth that he hath but a short time,” is to disrupt, disturb, and
destroy the home and the family. Like a ship without a rudder, without a
compass, we drift from the family values which have anchored us in the
past. Now we are caught in a current so strong that unless we correct
our course, civilization as we know it will surely be wrecked to pieces.

Moral values are being neglected and prayer expelled from public schools
on the pretext that moral teaching belongs to religion. At the same
time, atheism, the secular religion, is admitted to class, and our
youngsters are proselyted to a conduct without morality.
World leaders and court judges agree that the family must endure if we
are to survive. At the same time, they use the words freedom and choice
as tools to pry apart the safeguards of the past and loosen up the laws
on marriage, abortion, and gender. In so doing, they promote the very
things which threaten the family.  (Boyd K. Packer, “The Father and the
Family,” Ensign, May 1994)

----------

We live in a day when there are many political, legal, and social
pressures for changes that confuse gender and homogenize the differences
between men and women. Our eternal perspective sets us against changes
that alter those separate duties and privileges of men and women that
are essential to accomplish the great plan of happiness.  (Dallin H.
Oaks, “The Great Plan of Happiness”, General Conference address, 3 Oct
1993.)

----------

There are those who would have us believe in the validity of what they
choose to call same-sex marriage. Our hearts reach out to those who
struggle with feelings of affinity for the same gender. We remember you
before the Lord, we sympathize with you, we regard you as our brothers
and our sisters. However, we cannot condone immoral practices on your
part any more than we can condone immoral practices on the part of
others…

With so much of sophistry that is passed off as truth, with so much of
deception concerning standards and values, with so much of allurement
and enticement to take on the slow stain of the world, we have felt to
warn and forewarn. In furtherance of this we of the First Presidency and
the Council of the Twelve Apostles now issue a proclamation to the
Church and to the world as a declaration and reaffirmation of standards,
doctrines, and practices relative to the family which the prophets,
seers, and revelators of this church have repeatedly stated throughout
its history…

“We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse
spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will
one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the
disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities,
and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets…
“We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere
to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family
as the fundamental unit of society.”  (Gordon B. Hinckley, “Stand Strong
against the Wiles of the World,” Ensign, Nov. 1995)

----------

Every Latter-day Saint knows that God has forbidden all sexual relations
outside the bonds of marriage. Most are also aware of the Savior’s
teaching that it is sinful for a man to look upon and lust after a woman
(see Matt. 5:28; D&C 42:23; D&C 63:16).
Attraction between man and woman was instilled by the Creator to ensure
the perpetuation of mortal life and to draw husband and wife together in
the family setting he prescribed for the accomplishment of his purposes,
including the raising of children. In contrast, deviations from God’s
commandments in the use of procreative powers are grave sins. President
Joseph F. Smith taught: The Lord drew boundary lines to define
acceptable limits of tolerance. Danger rises when those divine limits
are disobeyed. Just as parents teach little children not to run and play
in the street, the Savior taught us that we need not tolerate evil.
“Jesus went into the temple of God, and … and overthrew the tables of
the moneychangers.”  Though He loved the sinner, the Lord said that He
“cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance.”  His Apostle
Paul specified some of those sins in a letter to the Galatians. The list
included “adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
“Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, … wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
“Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like.”
To Paul’s list I might add the regrettable attitudes of bigotry,
hypocrisy, and prejudice. These were also decried in 1834 by early
Church leaders who foresaw the eventual rise of this church “amid the
frowns of bigots and the calumny of hypocrites.”  The Prophet Joseph
Smith prayed that “prejudices may give way before the truth.” Hatred
stirs up strife and digs beneath the dignity of mature men and women in
our enlightened era.

Paul’s list included “uncleanness.” As members of the Church entrusted
with its holy temples, we are commanded that “no unclean thing shall be
permitted to come into [His] house to pollute it.”
That assignment requires great fortitude as well as love. In former
days, disciples of the Lord “were firm, and would suffer even unto death
rather than commit sin.” In latter days, devoted disciples of the Lord
are just as firm. Real love for the sinner may compel courageous
confrontation—not acquiescence! Real love does not support
self-destructing behavior.  (Russell M. Nelson, “Teach Us Tolerance and
Love,” Ensign, May 1994)

----------

The Apostle Paul warned of these days: “For the time will come when they
will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they
heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
“And they shall turn away their ears from the truth” (2 Tim. 4:3-4).
Paul also taught that the Lord “gave some, apostles; and some, prophets
…

“For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the
edifying of the body of Christ:
“Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the
Son of God, …

“That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried
about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning
craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive” (Eph. 4:11-14)…

In plainness and power President Hinckley teaches the eternal plan of
salvation, rebukes sin, calls all people to repent and accept Christ and
His gospel. The doctrines of eternal salvation are not unclear or
uncertain, but rather they are consistent with revealed truths, both
ancient and modern.

President Spencer W. Kimball reminded us that the prophets “constantly
cry out against that which is intolerable in the sight of the Lord;
against pollution of mind, body, and our surroundings; against
vulgarity, stealing, lying, pride, and blasphemy; against fornication,
adultery, homosexuality, and all other abuses of the sacred power to
create; against murder and all that is like unto it; against all manner
of desecration.” He continued: “That such things should be found even
among the Saints to some degree is scarcely believable. … Sadly,
however, we find that to be shown the way is not necessarily to walk in
it” (“The False Gods We Worship,” Ensign, June 1976, 4).
Therefore, let us beware of false prophets and false teachers, both men
and women, who are self-appointed declarers of the doctrines of the
Church and who seek to spread their false gospel and attract followers
by sponsoring symposia, books, and journals whose contents challenge
fundamental doctrines of the Church.

Beware of those who speak and publish in opposition to God’s true
prophets and who actively proselyte others with reckless disregard for
the eternal well-being of those whom they seduce. Like Nehor and Korihor
in the Book of Mormon, they rely on sophistry to deceive and entice
others to their views. They “set themselves up for a light unto the
world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not
the welfare of Zion” (2 Ne. 26:29).

Of such President Joseph F. Smith warned when he spoke of the “proud and
self-vaunting ones, who read by the lamps of their own conceit; who
interpret by rules of their own contriving; who have become a law unto
themselves, and so pose as the sole judges of their own doings” (Gospel
Doctrine, 381).

Now let me give you a few examples of the false teachings of those who
read by the lamps of their own conceit, who, though “ever learning,” are
“never able to come to the knowledge of the truth” (2 Tim. 3:7)…

False prophets and false teachers are also those who attempt to change
the God-given and scripturally based doctrines that protect the sanctity
of marriage, the divine nature of the family, and the essential doctrine
of personal morality. They advocate a redefinition of morality to
justify fornication, adultery, and homosexual relationships. Some openly
champion the legalization of so-called same-gender marriages. To justify
their rejection of God’s immutable laws that protect the family, these
false prophets and false teachers even attack the inspired proclamation
on the family issued to the world in 1995 by the First Presidency and
the Twelve Apostles.
Regardless of which particular false doctrines they teach, false
prophets and false teachers are an inevitable part of the last days.
“False prophets,” according to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “always arise
to oppose the true prophets” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith,
sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 365).

However, in the Lord’s Church there is no such thing as a “loyal
opposition.” One is either for the kingdom of God and stands in defense
of God’s prophets and apostles, or one stands opposed. And as Lehi of
old counseled his sons, so this counsel is true for us today:
“And the Messiah cometh in the fulness of time, that he may redeem the
children of men from the fall. And because that they are redeemed from
the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act
for themselves and not to be acted upon, save it be by the punishment of
the law at the great and last day, according to the commandments which
God hath given.

“Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are
given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose
liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to
choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the
devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.

“And now, my sons, I would that ye should look to the great Mediator,
and hearken unto his great commandments; and be faithful unto his words,
and choose eternal life, according to the will of his Holy Spirit” (2
Ne. 2:26-28).

Brothers and sisters, let us be anxiously engaged in good causes. Let us
love the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. Let us sustain and live by
the revelations of the restored gospel. Let us love our fellow beings
and fill our hearts and souls with the light of the gospel of Jesus
Christ. Then we will sing with Isaiah:
“Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid; …
“Therefore with joy shall [I] draw water out of the wells of salvation”
(Isa. 12:2-3).

We also know from Paul’s inspired words to the Galatian Saints that “the
fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness,
goodness, faith,
“Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. …
“If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit” (Gal.
5:22-23, 25).  (Russell M. Nelson, “Teach Us Tolerance and Love,”
Ensign, May 1994)

----------

I have time to discuss one other question: “Why does the Church become
involved in issues that come before the legislature and the electorate?”

I hasten to add that we deal only with those legislative matters which
are of a strictly moral nature or which directly affect the welfare of
the Church. We have opposed gambling and liquor and will continue to do
so. We regard it as not only our right but our duty to oppose those
forces which we feel undermine the moral fiber of society. Much of our
effort, a very great deal of it, is in association with others whose
interests are similar. We have worked with Jewish groups, Catholics,
Muslims, Protestants, and those of no particular religious affiliation,
in coalitions formed to advocate positions on vital moral issues. Such
is currently the case in California, where Latter-day Saints are working
as part of a coalition to safeguard traditional marriage from forces in
our society which are attempting to redefine that sacred institution.
God-sanctioned marriage between a man and a woman has been the basis of
civilization for thousands of years. There is no justification to
redefine what marriage is. Such is not our right, and those who try will
find themselves answerable to God.
Some portray legalization of so-called same-sex marriage as a civil
right. This is not a matter of civil rights; it is a matter of morality.
Others question our constitutional right as a church to raise our voice
on an issue that is of critical importance to the future of the family.
We believe that defending this sacred institution by working to preserve
traditional marriage lies clearly within our religious and
constitutional prerogatives. Indeed, we are compelled by our doctrine to
speak out.

Nevertheless, and I emphasize this, I wish to say that our opposition to
attempts to legalize same-sex marriage should never be interpreted as
justification for hatred, intolerance, or abuse of those who profess
homosexual tendencies, either individually or as a group. As I said from
this pulpit one year ago, our hearts reach out to those who refer to
themselves as gays and lesbians. We love and honor them as sons and
daughters of God. They are welcome in the Church. It is expected,
however, that they follow the same God-given rules of conduct that apply
to everyone else, whether single or married.
I commend those of our membership who have voluntarily joined with other
like-minded people to defend the sanctity of traditional marriage. As
part of a coalition that embraces those of other faiths, you are giving
substantially of your means. The money being raised in California has
been donated to the coalition by individual members of the Church. You
are contributing your time and talents in a cause that in some quarters
may not be politically correct but which nevertheless lies at the heart
of the Lord’s eternal plan for His children, just as those of many other
churches are doing. This is a united effort.
I think that is all I need to say on that and the other matters on which
I have commented. I have tried to explain why we do some of the things
that we do. I hope I have been helpful.  (Gordon B. Hinckley, “Why We Do
Some of the Things We Do,” Ensign, Nov. 1999)