In my view, the restoration has a poor record of success when it comes
to testing the laws of the land in court.  For more than 150 years it
has been a dismal and discouraging effort for the saints of God to
importune the courts for redress.  In legal matters regarding everything
from trivial personal harassment lawsuits against Joseph Smith, on up to
the testing of the constitutionality of federal anti-polygamy laws, the
church has waged and consistently lost many important legal battles
through the courts at every level.

Having personally sustained my own significant trauma at the handling of
the courts, I shrink from the very suggestion that we might obtain any
kind of satisfying judgement in the several legal matters currently
concerning the general body of the church.  But, notwithstanding my own
reticence, and even in the face of confusion within the ranks regarding
these matters, we are clearly obligated to follow the consistent counsel
of the brethren in this matter.  The saints have always been instructed
to make every effort to work within the law.  We believe in honoring and
sustaining the law of the land.  In many instances throughout church
history, church members have been horribly abused at the hands of the
system which should have protected them.  Yet they always continued to
press for justice and sound judgement.

I can see no other alternative.  In the case of the assault on marriage
laws, I honestly believe it may be a futile effort.  But we ought to
follow the example set by our stalwart predecessors, in exhausting every
recourse to obtain legal settlement of the current issues.