Just a quick note while I'm reading the code and deeply enough in it:

It seems that _added_during_commit is not needed anymore. At the time it was introduced, http://cvs.zope.org/ZODB3/ZODB/Attic/Connection.py.diff? r1=1.114.2.5&r2=1.114.2.6 the add() method didn't also _register its objects, but put them in _added.

Nowadays all added objects end up in _registered_objects, so the simple for loop in _commit should be enough to also catch those added during commit.

The test checkModifyOnGetstate (and all other tests) still passes if I comment out the relevant code in add().

Florent

PS: I'll take the time in a few weeks to review the messages I posted here and checkin changes for those who have received approval. But I don't have the bandwidth right now.