On 23 Jun 2006, at 17:55, Andreas Jung wrote:
--On 23. Juni 2006 17:51:35 +0200 Florent Guillaume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
BTrees perform best when keys' prefixes are randomly distributed.
So if your application generates keys like 'foo001', 'foo002',... you'll
get lots of conflicts. Same for consecutive integers in IOBTree.

hm..are you sure about that?

It all depends on the concurrency for the use of these consecutive ids really.

The problem is bucket splits. A bucket split cannot be resolved by conflict resolution code of BTrees.

Let's say B is the size of a bucket and you have N leaf buckets in the whole BTree. If you use consecutive ids, you'll get a bucket split every B/2 inserts (assuming buckets are half-filled on average). If you use random ids, you'll get a bucket split on average every N*B/ 2 inserts.
All this roughly (I'm ignoring details like internal nodes).

If two processes concurrently use sequential ids from the same pool at the same time, I'd say there one in B chances of getting a conflict error. It's only one in (N*B)^2 if the ids are random.

All back-of-the-envelope calculations of course...

Florent