On Jul 13, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Chris S wrote:

You can always persist (almost) any object, even if it does not subclass from Persistent. However, any changes to the object will not be detected automatically and you would have to either a) reassign the object to the
ZODB or b) mark it as changed using _p_changed()

Christian

I don't think this is the case. Consider my simple example below. None
of my classes inherit Persistent, and even though I set _p_changed =
1, nothing's persisted.

In your example, it seems like there is a missing
root['bob'] = User('bob')
transaction.commit()
to get things started.