Dieter Maurer wrote:
Chris Withers wrote at 2006-10-5 09:52 +0100:

I'm wondering why we take on those issues rather than just use an incrementing integer sequence instead?

With integer keys, you would not be able to pack to something
like n days before -- as you do not have any time in your
storage file....

You would still need to track times, but you could manage
this as transaction meta data, rather than using it as an id.