For now, I'm leaving this feature in ZEO, but it is not part of any official interfaces. It isn't going to be part of the standard storage API. (I've removed it from the very annoying BaseStorage, which really should be named SimpleStorage.) At some point, I'd still like to hear about some specific use cases that motivate this feature.

Jim