On Feb 1, 2008, at 6:03 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
Since BTrees are written in C, I couldn't add my own conflict manager to try
to merge buckets. (and this is
way over my head)

That doesn't really matter, because conflict-resolution can only operate on one object at a time.

Is there a way to avoid these conflicts in BTree ?

Your best bet is to look at your application to see if you can avoid the hot spot in the first place. For example, your test script creates threads that allocate overlapping ids, guaranteeing conflicts. This is probably a bug in your test script. A similar and common mistake is to allocate keys sequentially. A better solution is to allocate keys randomly (or sequentially within threads with random starting points).

I have plans to redo conflict resolution to:

- do resolution on the client, where the software is,
- make it more flexible,
- allow conflict-resolution on multiple objects

but I don't know when that will happen. In any case, there are often better application-specific approaches to avoid the conflicts in the first place.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation