Okay, so I found a fix for my problem, thought I'd share for others.

So, you have an error like this:

<blah>
POSKeyError: 0x3e0a

...do a bin/zopectl debug and then do roughly the following:

>>> from ZODB.utils import p64
>>> oid = p64(0x3e0a)

So now we've got the oid of the broken object, lets create something to replace it with:

>>> from persistent.mapping import PersistentMapping
>>> data = PersistentMapping()
>>> data['BROKEN']=True

It's important that this is easy to spot:

>>> repr(data)
"{'BROKEN': True}"

...'cos once it's fixed, you'll need to look for that dict-ish thing in various attempts of print(vars(object_that_gave_you_the_POSKeyError)) until you've got rid of all instances of it.

Anyway, lets get on and insert our 'broken' marker so that we don't get POSKeyErrors raised:

>>> import cStringIO
>>> import cPickle
>>> import transaction
>>> s = app._p_jar.db()._storage
>>> file = cStringIO.StringIO()
>>> p = cPickle.Pickler(file, 1)
>>> p.dump((data.__class__, None))
<cPickle.Pickler object at 0xb5eb1134>
>>> p.dump(data.__getstate__())
<cPickle.Pickler object at 0xb5eb1134>
>>> t = transaction.Transaction()
>>> t.description = 'Fix POSKeyError'
>>> s.tpc_begin(t)
>>> s.store(oid,None,file.getvalue(),'',t)
>>> s.tpc_vote(t)
[('\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00>\n', '\x03s\xb6\xf4AQ\xe7\xdd')]
>>> s.tpc_finish(t)

Okay, that's the hairy bit over, now you need to do 'the usual' things to remove or fix things that refer to the new data.

Does anyone know where the best place is to put How-To's of this sort nowadays?

It's a shame ZODB doesn't turn POSKeyErrors into proper Broken objects as it does when the class can no longer be imported. The problem with POSKeyErrors is that they prevent you accessing *any object that refers to the broken object* not just the missing object itself. This means that when objects *do* go missing, the data loss can be much much worse than it needs to be.

What does everyone else think?

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk