I am not a Veritas expert, but I figure that the reason folks ask for Veritas in a zone is because they want all the behaviors they are used to on a stand-alone system.

One reason for raw devices it to avoid the filesystem overhead. And with Veritas, they'd want to use QuickIO if using VxFS to simulate raw speeds while using filesystem symantics and administrative benefits.

Since there is a single VM, filesystem and cache, and kernel, would it be sufficient to create the necessary filesystems in the global zone and deliver them to the non-global zone? Is Oracle or any other application going to see lower performance if they application is running in a non-global zone and therefore hidden from some of the device specific accesses or properties that the reduced privilieges on a NGZ present?

Thanks
Steffen