Jeff Victor writes:
> Brian Warkentine wrote:
> > I see that printing of the zone uuid has been added to zoneadm recently
> > (around the end of june this year, according to the online source).  Is
> > there any binary that will print uuid for older releases?
>
> Why?  That ID is only intended for internal consumption.

Actually, we're now exposing it via "zoneadm list -p" intentionally,
because there are customers who apparently want to use it as some sort
of "asset tag."

I'm not sure _why_ it's useful this way, but I'm reliably informed
that there are people who care, and it was easy enough to provide.
;-}

Anyway, the semantics are simple and don't involve kernel state: when
the zone is installed ("zoneadm install"), the zone gets a new UUID.
The UUID remains stable over renames, moves, and LU BE copies.  It is
destroyed if the zone is uninstalled.

This way, we can tell when a zone in two BEs is the same zone but just
under a different name (thus still needing synchronization), and when
someone destroys and re-creates a zone under the same name (thus not
needing synchronization).

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>