Hi,

LDOM's should work with this type of migration since each guest domain
has its own virtual memory map, kernel, etc. It'll be a matter of
insuring that the destination machine has the available resources to
migrate to. Of course, this would still require some mechanism to do
the migration (coordinating memory mapping, storage, TCP/IP stack,
etc.). So it's still not an easy thing, but I'm sure it could be done.

Zones on the other hand are tied closely to the kernel running in the
global zone. So it probably won't be possible to do without some method
of migrating the processes, kernel space, reassigning PID's, etc. And
then you have the issue of keeping all of your machines in sync (OS
version, patches, etc.). So there is some additional overhead and
management requirements.

It would be great to see this possible with the above solutions. But
I'll leave it to the experts to make it happen:)

Octave

--- Mike Gerdts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 3/20/07, Nils Nieuwejaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > When migrating a zone, you would have to find some way to extricate
> the
> > kernel state for just that some subset of a system's processes,
> devices,
> > network connections, etc. - then insert that state into the middle
> of a
> > kernel already running on another machine.  To put it mildly, that
> would be
> > hard.
>
> OpenVZ (similar to zones, from my understanding) can do this on
> Linux.
>
> http://wiki.openvz.org/Checkpointing_and_live_migration
> http://openvz.org/news/announcements/openvz-sparc-20070102
>
> > If you want live migration on Solaris, and you are using x86/x64
> machines,
> > then you should be looking at Xen.
> >         http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/xen
>
> Does running on sun4v LDOMs help provide a path to this?  To someone
> that hasn't really looked at how LDOMs get their initial state, it
> seems as though this would be quite doable.
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Mike Gerdts
> http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/