On Tue 17 Apr 2007 at 02:50PM, cedric briner wrote:
> nevada build: 61
>
> hello the list,
>
> can we issue this commands inside a zone:
> - iscsiadm
> - devfs i iscsi?
>
> Since I'm trying to build up a cheap and reliable *san* based on zfs,
> iscsi & nfs.
>

> When I try the follow:
> #iscsiadm list target
> iscsiadm: Unknown error
> iscsiadm: Unable to complete operation

Cedric,

As far as I know, at this time you can't have a zone be an independent
iSCSI initiator.

However, you can connect to the target of your choice in the global zone
and then add that as a device to your zone with the "add device" command
in zonecfg(1m).  In this regard, iSCSI is just the same as Fibre Channel
or locally attached disk.

One problem with having a zone be able to import (or create) raw devices
and then mount filesystems atop them is that it usually not too hard
to scribble bad data onto the device and then get the filesystem to
panic (the whole machine).

That said, we think that in some environments this will be desired.
I had a conversation with some of the iSCSI engineers a couple of weeks
ago on this topic, so we're only really just starting to think about
this.  If you (or others on the list with a similar need) could follow
up (privately if you want) with a little more detail about what you are
trying to do, and how this fits into your business or project, I can get
you a bug filed, and take it to the iSCSI team.  To the best of my
knowledge you are the first person to ask for this feature, although we
do know it's an issue we'll need to solve eventually.

Thanks,

        -dp