Hi Irlando,

my answers inline,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I need assistance answering & help my customer with his zones questions!
> Meantime I sent him infodoc 71582 to get him started!
> thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Irlando
>
> Customer wrote:
>
> We are looking to setup 2 Oracle databases, one for OLTP and one for OLAP.
>
> In the past, we had always allocated 2 different servers, as a
> recommendation from Oracle.  We are now trying to see if it makes sense
> for us to get 1 server, say a v490 with 4 Dual Core processors with 16 Gb
> of RAM, to house these 2 databases.
> With zones, I know that we can setup different root disks, as I had done
> during training.

Actually not different root disk, but different root environment
> Q1.Can we split up the processors, say 0 and 2 to one zone, and 1 and 3 to
>    another zone?

Yes, you do that by creating the processor pool, and assign the pool to
each zone. Oracle recognize this method of partitioning so your
licensing should be easy.
But please remember that you should always leave some CPU/cores for the
global zone.
Another idea is by using Fair Share Scheduler. However, I never tried
this for production database.
> Q2.If we were to have 2 HBAs on the server, can we allocate 1 HBA to 1 zone
>    and the other to the second zone?

You can do this by assigning the mountpoints to be used by particular
zone to just use this HBA. So you should be creative in using LUN
Masking and possibly SAN zoning also.
> Q3.As far as networking, would it be possible to allocate 2 ports off a Quad
>    network card to 1 zone, and the other 2 ports to another zone?  Or would
>    we be better off with single or dual port cards that can be allocated to
>    different zones?

Yes you can, easy to do that. The decision to choose a Quad NIC or
single/dual port is solely on the predicted usage of the network
throughput and where the NIC is located (What PCI/PCI-X/PCI-E slot).
> Q4.With zones, would it make sense for us to setup 1 master and 2 'clients',
>    where each one of the clients support each database?

I do not really get what you mean with master and clients here. Care to
explain more?
> Q5.What would be the limitations of using zones to house these 2 databases.
>    One downfall would be if there is a hardware problem, then all
>    zones/databases would be out until the hardware issues was resolved.

Well, if you concern about High Availability, then you should summon the
clustering software then. And if they only have 2 SID running, it may be
good to create a 2 nodes cluster, one node running an SID and another
node becoming the failover node.
> Q6.Are there any other types of issues with zones?

1. Do not limit the memory usage of Oracle using rcapd. It just does not
work
2. Cannot use Oracle DISM, but of course, what for?
3. If the customer's preference of  volume management software is VxVM
instead of  SVM, we still cannot present a VxVM LUN/volume as raw device
to zones. You have to make it a normal file system, mountable at
global-zone, then import it to zone using lofs.
> Q7.As far as best practices, are other users use zoning to support different
>    databases?

Sorry, I do not really get this question

best regards,

Dedhi