Mike Gerdts wrote:
> On 7/10/07, Dave Bevans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>   IHAC with the folowing questions...
>>
>> Describe the problem: We would like to know if
>> you have any suggestions for patching zones on
>> high-availability systems, who wouldn't
>> necessarily have their LOFS mount point
>> available without HA, or without mounting them
>> before patching.  For example, we have Veritas
>> Cluster server mount multiple volumes within a
>> directory structure, and these are provided by
>> VCS when the cluster comes up.  These are then
>> mounted in local zones via LOFS when they boot.
>> If we try and patch and these are not available,
>> the patching fails.  Is there any possible way
>> to boot the local zone and have it ignore
>> application specific LOFS mounts without
>> changing the configuration of the zone?   Or a
>> script to populate the directory structure when
>> the disk isn't mounted to fake it out?  I will
>> write a script if there is nothing available,
>> but not reinventing the wheel if you guys have a
>> solution would be excellent. :)
>>

> Instead of using lofs mounts in zonecfg, add a VCS mount resource to
> perform the mount.  Make it a child of the zone resource.  On a
> related note, you want to be sure that VCS is controlling the IP
> address as well.  If you don't then you may end up with the same IP
> address up on multiple machines at some time in the future when you
> boot the standby zone into single-user mode to make other non-patch
> changes.
>
> The following ASCII art(?) kinda outlines how the dependency tree should look.
>
>      Application
>   (e.g. multi-user)
>      /    |   \
>   Mount   |    \
>   (NFS)   |     \
>     |     |      \
>     IP   Mount    ...
>     |    (lofs)  (lofs)
>     |      \      /
>     |       \    /
>   Zone      Mount
>             (SAN)
>

> There are two paths you can take with the above layout.  If you are
> using SMF to start applications in the zone, you need them to not try
> to start until after the IP is up and all the mounts are complete.  To
> achieve that, set the default run-level of the zone to single-user,
> then create an application agent (topmost resource) that runs "init
> 3".
>
> If you are using VCS to start applications, then the topmost
> application resource (or oracle, etc.) should work out OK as is.
>
> With the above layout, you can even have "the same" (not really) zone
> booted all the time on multiple servers.
>

>>  Any Idea's
>>

> One other...
>
> You could create an empty directory hierarchy under the SAN mount
> point.  Suppose the SAN space mounts at /san and a zone needs stuff
> from /san/data/zone1.
>
> On the root file system of the server:
>
> mkdir -p /san/data/zone1

> [...]

Basically if you use 119254/119255 latest rev ( actually rev's above 14
) zones are not booted, but are actually put into a scratch zone state.
The patchadd output says booting zones, but this is slightly misleading,
it actually uses a facility called scratch zones, I believe this will
work for your case.

Enda