Bryan Allen wrote:
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | On 2009-08-06 22:23:12, Alexander J. Maidak wrote:
> |
> | I have a number of systems running Solaris zones.  I'm looking for a
> | tool that will do the following:
> |
> | 1) Capture/store the cpu utilization of the global zone and all
> | non-global zones
> | 2) Capture/store the memory utilization of the global zone and all
> | non-global zones
> | 3) Post the graphics to a website that can display both historical and
> | realtime data.
> |
> | What tools have people used to do this?  I'm looking at Cacti, but it
> | looks like I would be have to figure out a good programmatic way to
> | generate (1) and (2) to feed into it.
> |
> | Does anyone have anything to share on the commercial products on the
> | market?
> munin is free, works out of the box, and is trivial to set up. Just run
> munin-node in each zone and configure the munin server to poll each zone. It
> generates pretty graphs with zero effort on your part.
> Alternatively, you could look at Hyperic, which is very Enterprisey.

The question is: are the zones static or dynamic?  Meaning, if you add
another zone do you want to get its stats too?  If so most monitoring
applications are going to be tricky because you'll need to add them
individually to the config.

I would highly suggest Zabbix if you want a framework to work with, but
personally I found custom built to be the best solution.  Munin is ok,
but I find Cacti to be a real pita to work with... its great when its
setup but the config is really confusing and imho not worth the hassle
unless someone has already created plugins.