James, thank you for that thought - yes, I was headed to this same test:

A word first, on the environment: we have several 3rd-party (SunFreeware) and
custom-built libs, mostly in /usr/local/lib.  This occasionally leads to what I
like to think of as 'white-knuckle computing..."

With crle default path set to: Default Library Path (ELF):   /lib:/usr/lib
# ldd /usr/sbin/zonecfg
        - all dependencies are resolved, but ALL in /usr/lib, NONE in
/usr/local/lib

On the other hand, with Default Library Path (ELF):
/usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib

# ldd /usr/sbin/zonecfg
        libxml2.so.2 =>  /usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2
        libxml2.so.2 (SUNW_1.4) =>       (version not found)
        …
        libxml2.so.2 (SUNW_1.3) =>       (version not found)
        libxml2.so.2 (SUNW_1.3) =>       (version not found)
        (occurs twice)

/usr/local/lib/libxml2.so does show that all of its dependencies are present -
and resolved - but many of them are the libs in /usr/local.  This is no doubt
the source of the 'version not found' issue.

Wondering what is best solution?
1) Leave crle with default setting,
2) create a 'custom' crl(environment) for execution of selected binaries?