On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 06:34:58PM +0100, Matt Harrison wrote:
> Firstly, and this is a fairly basic thing but something I've always had
> problems with: No matter what terminal setting I choose when I first
> configure the zone, terminal applications such as Vim don't display
> normally. When zlogin'd to a zone, Vim will display in a fixed size and
> displays such oddies as only changing the last line when scrolling.

zlogin has had a number of bugs filed against it.  I'm not sure what its
state is, but even without those bugs I'd recommend ssh over zlogin
except when you want access to the zone's console.

> I've had many problems with Vim and terminal emulations over the years
> but I've never managed to solve this one.

I've never had problems with VIM.

> To combat the Vim problem, I thought that it might work better when
> ssh'ing in from a working machine (the global zone). Unfortunately,
> after creating a user and home directory, ssh'ing in just hangs after
> the motd.
>
> If I force the command from ssh (ssh m...@xxx /bin/bash) I can type and
> run commands but I don't get a prompt.

You're missing -t.

> After some googling around I tried adding the -t option to ssh but that
> just hangs as well (totally locks up the terminal, have to kill manually).

Can you tell us more about what's going on in the client side?

Nico