On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 3:35 AM, Peter Tribble <peter.trib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Edward Pilatowicz
> <edward.pilatow...@oracle.com> wrote:
>> hey all,
>> i had a quick questions for all the zones users out there.
>> after you've configured and installed a zone with ip-type=shared (the
>> default), how often do you change the network interfaces assigned to
>> that zone via zonecfg(1m)?  frequently? infrequently? never?  only when
>> moving from testing to production?  etc...
> Almost never.
> The only time I've ever done this was when a network interface on a
> machine failed
> and I had to use a different interface temporarily before the hardware
> was repaired.
> Mind you, I've always regarded it as a bug that you have to specify the
> physical
> interface in the configuration rather than just assigning an address
> and letting the
> system find the correct interface for you.

I'm with you on this.  Since I wrote a tool to create and harden zones
(analogous to zonemgr), I added logic for it to automatically select
an appropriate interface.  My implementation relies upon each
interface being configured for IPMP with the IPMP group name set to
the network number.  Having this logic is very helpful when it comes
time to migrate zones between machines - I don't have to worry about
bge vs. e1000g, vs. ...

> That's for physical interfaces; I occasionally have to add extra IP
> addresses to a
> zone, using ifconfig to add them on the fly and zonecfg so they stick at boot.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an option in zonecfg or zoneadm to apply
the current configuration to the running zone?  That could be used for
adding/removing mounts, networks, resource controls, etc.

Mike Gerdts