Thanks Mike.

The more I look at this more I think it is load related. svcs -x only shows
that the LP print server is not running which I don't think has any impact
on what I'm seeing.

As for who not reporting what I would expect I tracked that down to someone
installing the gnu tools in /usr/local/bin and then setting default path to
reference those before /bin/ :-(

/bin/who -r shows the zone is at run level 3.

Looking at /var/svc/log/milestone-multi-user-server:default.log I can see
that some of the other services have most likely not completed before it
tries to run the rc scripts. It appears that the /usr filesystem hasn't yet
been mounted read/write and the appstart script is logging an error that
indicates rpc services are not completely running.

Executing legacy init script "/etc/rc3.d/S98apache".
(30)Read-only file system: httpd: could not open error log file
Unable to open logs
Legacy init script "/etc/rc3.d/S98apache" exited with return code 0.
Executing legacy init script "/etc/rc3.d/S99appstart".
ERROR: Unable to contact any server
Legacy init script "/etc/rc3.d/S99appstart" exited with return code 0.
[ Dec 1 09:17:13 Method "start" exited with status 0 ]

We have a process in place that only starts 3 zones at one time so we are
not doing all 40 at once but it could be that with this hardware even
trying 3 at a time is too much and we may need to drop to 2.