On Sun 05 Feb 2012 at 04:18AM, David Cushing wrote:
> I would like to add a separate file system to a zone.  The problem I'm
> trying to solve is preventing users from filling up the zone's root
> partition (/).  All zones including the global zone are using ZFS.
> I want to add a user area (i.e. /u01) that can have its own
> reservations/quota.  I find two methods of doing this, "add dataset"
> and "add fs" with mountpoint=legacy.
> I don't  see any need within the zone to run zfs commands.  Are there
> other reasons to choose one of these over the other?

Pretty much the only reasons to choose 'add dataset' over 'add fs' is if
you would like to be able to manage that ZFS hierarchy within the zone
(as you say, run zfs commands), if you would like to have a hierarchy
(/u01, /u01/bigbird /u01/grover, etc.) given to the zone all at once, or
if you would like the zone to be able to see snapshots
(/u01/.zfs/snapshots/<snapname>).  If you are using Solaris 11, the zone
admin can also create zfs volumes within delegated datasets and access
them at /dev/zvol/{dsk,rdsk}/<aliased dataset name>.

Mike Gerdts
Solaris Core OS / Zones