Not sure if you noticed this discussion on hadoop core-dev:

In particular:
"it would help if someone wishing to use Maven had a look at
the poms and warned of trouble before they actually went up into the
central repository"

As I mentioned previously we will most likely follow core's lead on this (both in terms of build as well as release process).

Hiram Chirino wrote:
commented.  Basically deploying the the maven repo is the same as
deploying the final release artifact (it's just at a different
directory on the same machine and has a different directory