I see what you are saying, that's interesting. As Mahadev mentioned on another thread, we'd be interested to look at the JNI you've done. Perhaps we will need to include this as an option (and document where it's necessary, etc...) for other users who might run into this.

Thanks much for bringing this to our attention! Providing a fix: priceless. ;-)

Regards,

Patrick

Joey Echeverria wrote:
Nitay is correct about the native threads. Using the pure Java API,
the garbage collector will occasionally pause other Java threads to do
a full mark and sweep. Even switching to the concurrent collector only
delays the problem. The issues is mixing a high throughput application
(HBase) with a low latency library (Zookeeper). Systems like HBase
live on relatively large numbers of short lived objects. You only key
keys and values long enough for the Memcache to get full then you
write all the data to HDFS and throw away the objects.

You can patch around the issue with object pools, but ultimately you
need to insulate zk from the GC pauses. In our experience, the best
way to do that was a jni wrapper around the zk C api. Since the C api
uses it's own posix threads, it's protected from the GC. In the system
we wrote, we ended up using the Java api with a large session timeout
for most everything, and used the jni code just for creating ephemeral
nodes.

-Joey