However, as I understand it, this would involve the development of a contrib
module, not a set of patches to trunk. Therefore there's no issue of 'tying'
ZooKeeper to River.

I'm ill placed to judge whether this would be a contribution that many
people would use, but we should not reject it before we even discuss it on a
JIRA. It certainly seems like a positive contribution, and we have
historically been interested in integrating with service frameworks.

Brian, I'd encourage you to open a JIRA and contribute your code. We'll
discuss the technical merits there.

cheers,
Henry

--