Our first official Apache release has shipped and I'm already looking forward to 3.1.0. ;-)

In particular I believe we should look at the following for 3.1.0:

1) there are a number of issues that we're targeted to 3.1.0 during the 3.0.0 cycle. We need to review and address these.

2) system test. During 3.0.0 we made significant improvements to our test environment. However we still lack a large(r) scale system test environment. It would be great if we could simulate large scale use over 10s or 100s of machines (ensemble + clients). We need some sort of framework for this, and of course tests.

3) operations documentation. In general docs were greatly improved in 3.x over 2.x. One area we are still lacking is operations docs for design/management of a ZK cluster.
see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-160

4) JMX. Documentation needs to be written & the code reviewed/improved. Moving to Java6 should (afaik) allow us to take advantage of improved JMX spec not available in 5. We should also consider making JMX the default rather than optional (ie you get JMX by default when ZK server is started). We need to ensure that ops can monitor/admin ZK using JMX.

5) (begin) multi-tenancy support. A number of users have expressed interest in being able to deploy ZK as a service in a cloud. Multi-tenancy support would be a huge benefit (quota, qos, namespace partitioning of nodes, billing, etc...)

Of course ZooKeeper is open to submissions in that aren't on this list. If you have any suggestions please feel free to enter a JIRA or submit a patch.

Additionally I'd like to see us move to an 8 week release cycle. I've updated the JIRA version list to reflect this. Due to the holiday season approaching I've listed 3.1.0 with a ship date of Jan 19th. (see the roadmap on the JIRA).

If you have any questions/comments please reply to this email.