Apache Ivy has also been looked at, I believe Hadoop Core is considering Ivy for dependency management:

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/

Patrick

Adam Rosien wrote:
If someone could deploy a build to a public maven repository it would
really help zk client development and adoption when integrating with
external maven-ized projects, since adding such a dependency is
trivial in maven.

.. Adam