Von: Flavio Junqueira [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Montag, 17. November 2008 13:49
An: zookeeper-user@hadoop.apache.org
Betreff: RE: Dynamic server management?

Hi Thomas, We currently don't have such a feature of adding and removing
servers dynamically, although we would like to, so we'll have it eventually.

Without a dynamic mechanism for adding and removing servers, your example is
problematic. Suppose that you configure your ensemble to have 3 servers, and
then you start only one. Your single server would say: "Hey, I'm alone so I
should make progress independently". This is reasonable, right? Well, not
really, because you can have the following alternative execution. You start
your three servers, but there is a temporary network partition and server 1
cannot talk to servers 2 and 3. Consequently, server 1 will make progress
independently of 2 and 3, and their state will diverge.

Hope it helps.

-Flavio