The problem is that we cannot differentiate between the servers being down
and a network problem from the client to servers.

If the servers are down and we expire the session for a client on the client
side -- the servers would come up and would still have the session as valid
(though it will be expired in a few session timeout seconds) but we pre
maturely would have expired the session at the client.

You can look at it this way -- the client does not know whats going on with
the zookeeper service, so instead of giving back a false answer to the
application it waits for a true answer from the servers. Also, we are
assuming that the client would not be able to proceed further neway if it
cannot contact the servers.

Hope this answers your question.

mahadev