Thanks! Also thanks are due to the entire ZK committer team who helped
enormously in getting the patch into shape.

Since the JIRA is now a long and complicated read, I want to summarise a
couple of important points here (although the docs have most of this

1. Observers must currently be used with electionAlg=0; this is due to a
limitation of the other election algorithms which is being removed in
another JIRA.
2. This is only the 'core functionality' patch - you can use Observers in
your ensembles as of this commit (and I would love to hear experiences from
people who do so), but there's more to come in terms of optimisations and
the sanding down of some rough edges. In particular, the configuration is a
bit cumbersome and we already have a JIRA open to address that.